Friday 28 August 2015

No Longer Am I There, I'm Here.






I lay there, gazing up at the sky, just as evening was overcoming the day.
I went, fleeing from the busyness of day, out into the yard to catch a little moment of silent serenity. "Two days, two days, two days until I leave." And then an airplane spilt the sky above me, slender and white with little lights all over it. I watched it slowly make it's way across, and it seemed but a moment, and I was on it, or another one quite similar. Suddenly my two days were gone.
I didn't realize saying goodbye would be so hard. The act of leaving was bad enough-- but when it came time to hug siblings and parents and make all the proper 'farewells', I could only seem to manage a murmured goodbye and a tight hug as the tears rolled down my cheeks and my throat closed up a little and wouldn't let me do much of anything. I didn't realize goodbye would be so hard. I couldn't even say it properly, and oh, I wanted to say so much more!

But I'm here now. And all that is becoming more and more like a distant memory. The current is grabbing me again, taking me with it. People are everywhere now, and I talk to them. I work hard, and I hope desperately that I'll be able to get all my stuff out of storage soon so I can unpack properly. Already this life is greeting me with surprise after surprise and most of them terribly pleasant.

I think I shall survive. And more that that- I have an odd suspicion I shall enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment