Friday 14 August 2015

It's A Soul Thing.





Rain is a soul thing, never convince me it isn’t. I woke up this morning to the pitter patter of rain outside my window and a glowering sky full of moody and dark thoughts. And yet there’s such a sweet serenity and warmth about the pale glow cast around the room by the pale light of sky. Everything is so thoughtful, so pensive. My messy hair flowing around my shoulders and my makeupless face grinning to greet the day. Yes, grinning… Because I can never help but feel when it rains that somehow, someway God is doing this for me. Yes, perhaps He has a million good reasons to bless the earth with rain today, but maybe I’m one of the million reasons. And maybe God smiles a little and thinks of me and says something like “Renae will like this rain.”

There’s just something about drizzly, dripping days of grumbling skies (aka rainy days) that remind me I’m incredibly blessed beyond measure and God- loves- me. And I think sometimes He says it with the rain.

I ache right now to be deep into the pages of some book, an old classic like Louisa May Alcott, or Charles Dickens, or one of the Bronte sisters. I want to turn up some jolly Christmas carols, let some candles blare on the kitchen counter, and cocoon myself up in my fuzzy blanket with the adorable kitties on it.

Rain is a soul thing. It’s a my soul thing. Maybe that’s the weather in my heart… It’s raining in my soul, always. So that’s where I get this strange wonderful feeling of kinship with days like this.


I’m so (sosososososososo) thankful and glad and ecstatic that I have a God who cares about me, in little ways (like rain) and in humungous ways (like having a perfect and beautiful plan for my life).

I’ve been thinking a lot about that plan recently. What does God want me to do? Some people are so dead-set sure about what God wants them to do. They’re going to preach, they’re going to teach, they’re going to be a missionary to some tiny village in the plains of Africa. But I think I’m finding out that whether you know what God wants you to be eventually or not… there’s still a boatload of trust involved. Maybe I do know what He wants me to do! But how? when? where? with whom? by what means? (and a million other ‘wherefores’) I have absolutely no idea.

But that’s okay. That’s the way it’s supposed to be. I’m a foolish, selfish, messed up person with a brain and fore-sight the size of a raspberry.. so yeah, letting God take care of the details is totally okay with me. Instead I’ll just inch forward, grasping at what I do know and praying everyday that God would take care of the rest.


Days like today lend themselves generously to writing too, you know. I could sit here and make rhythm with this keyboard forevermore. But there’s this little (big) place down the road called a greenhouse where they’ll be expectantly waiting for me at 9:00 sharp to come and sweep some dirty floors for a while.

And so, a-due till next time the mood strikes me!

No comments:

Post a Comment